This writing is an excerpt taken from the interview of Bill Bartmann, a self-made billionaire. This interview comes from inside the minds of mega achievers within Quanta. Quanta is a personal development company co-founded by Jim Britt and Jim Lutes, two world renowned personal development experts.
In business there are enemies. First, let me tell you who the enemy is not. The enemy is not your competition. The enemy is not your tax man or government. The enemy is not your spouse. The enemy is not the bills as they come rolling in month after month. Your biggest and worst enemy is YOU.
Being successful in your business is not a coincidence. It does not happen by chance. Upon several discussions with very successful business owners, offline brick & mortar owners and online internet marketing owners, these 6 traits continue to exist over and over again.
These 6 traits exist in us already. You don’t have to buy them, you don’t have to subscribe to them, you don’t have to sign up for them, you don’t have to opt-in for them. You already possess them. The key is figuring out how to use them.
Per Bill Bartmann, these are the 6 characteristics of successful people.
1. You have to think BIG. If you want more than you have now, you have to think bigger than where you presently are. Give yourself permission to think big. You have met the enemy and he is US. Most people are just trying to survive, when you should be thinking THRIVE. The ‘ole saying ‘if you shoot for the stars and land on the moon’, you still have succeeded.
2. Believe in yourself. I’m not talking about an arrogant belief that your better than anyone else, or your smarter than anyone else. I’m talking about an inner belief that you have the skills, experience, and attributes to do what it takes to get your where you want to go. Believe you are unique and have the special skills you need and are capable of putting those skills to work for you.
3. Share the vision. When you have this big dream, big idea, big goal, tell everyone. Share what you want, share what you hope for, share your desires and dreams. When you do this one of two things will happen. The people closest to you that love you will help you or the people that don’t love you will laugh at you. Both of these are good. The people that laugh at you are great motivation.
4. Focus. Focus on your specific plan or goal. I’m talking about that one particular goal, not trying to achieve several things at once. If you do several things and not focus on one particular goal, you will probably wind up doing several things badly. Forget mult-tasking. Take that one particular task and perfect it. Don’t waste time trying to be good at several things. Everyone has a certain skill level to be good at least one or two things. Find yours, focus on it, and perfect it. Narrow the vision, narrow the target, and focus your skill and energy on that target.
5. Execute. It doesn’t matter how big you think, or how much you believe in yourself, or if you’ve shared your vision, or how focused you are if you don’t execute. Get off the couch and go take action. You will never have all the answers, but you have to use what you have.
6. Never Give Up. You will face obstacles. You will face challenges. You will encounter setbacks. You will have unexpected occurrences that will try and knock you down. But don’t give up, don’t ever give up. No matter if the obstacle was your fault or someone else’s, don’t quit. The only time you lose is when you don’t get back up.
As Bill, states these 6 traits are already within you. It’s how you use them that will determine your destiny.